Saturday, January 14, 2012

Child Development and Public Health

Nutrition/ Malnutrition 


I chose the Nutrition and malnutrition health topic. The nutrition and malnutrition topic is meaningful to me because I have many different children that has many different eating habit s. Parents have many different preferences for their child and as a teacher it’s important for me to explain to the parents the importance of a healthy and nutritious eating habit for young children.  Malnutrition is globally the most important risk factor for illness and death, contributing to more than half of deaths in children worldwide; child malnutrition was associated with 54% of deaths in children in developing countries. Women and young children are the most adversely affected groups; one quarter to one half of women of child-bearing age in Africa and south Asia are underweight, which contributes to the number of low birth weight infants born annually.  The information that I have read about developing countries and especially Africa because it seems as if they have the worst case for malnutrition is a wake up for how fortunate children in the United States are. From a personal stand one I think I will get a little more involved with donating what I can to organizations that are helping children and the mothers.   

1 comment:

  1. I never realized the percent was so high of deaths related to malnutrition. It makes me feel so lucky to be living here and have access to all of the foods we have at the supermarkets. There are so many organizations out there that help these children and I think it is great that you want to take a pro-active approach to this problem.

    ReplyDelete